chapter 13 : you sure have your hands full...

9.15.2007

lately, i've received a couple of comments from people when i'm out in public by myself with my two girls. they say, "you sure have your hands full!" and add a light, you must be crazy/i feel bad for you laugh following their remark. i am such a "black and white" person and often there is little if any gray in the way i perceive life. in other words, i either give people the benefit of the doubt and think they must really be nice or i get super annoyed by peoples' rudeness, ignorance or stupidity. these recent comments are starting to get old really quick and actually give me even more determination to do more by myself with the girls.
i definitely don't mind when another mom of two or more offers to help or strikes a conversation where we elude to the struggles and joys of parenthood with two small children, but when a family of 3 (Dad, Mom and young son) stare at you in McDonalds and don't say anything, i feel like i'm on display for criticism and i haven't even done anything except follow the commandment, "multiply and replenish the earth" and "find joy in your posterity."
i would be so HYPOCRITICAL if i were to say that i'm not judgemental often. i am. i was raised to be so unfortunately, but that doesn't change the fact that as a young Mom, breastfeeding not even included in this topic :), i love my children and like going out with them.
i feel like getting over the loud speaker and yelling, "just in case you pass by me, i am the young Mom of two girls less than 16 months apart. i can breastfeed my baby, give my older daughter snacks, talk on my cell and push my double stroller through a door one-handed all at the same time (a little big of an exaggeration). so if you pass by me, please don't stare or make a snide remark like "Wow! you sure have your hands full!" just keep walking unless you want to pay for the $60 worth of diapers. thank you and have a nice day!"
there are times when i catch myself for some reason harboring on the line of racist and prejudice and this bothers me. i'm not sure why, but i'm aware of it and it's definitely NOT ok. so from now on i'm going to try to not judge others and in turn i don't want to judged either. if only i could get the rest of the world to cooperate.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I can relate! My boys were even closer and I got that comment several times. One time it made me so mad that I replyed super snotty "Better full than empty" Oh how I loved saying that. (Feel free to use it.) It was very liberating to stand up for myself at that moment but, I'm sure there are better ways of accomplishing that. It might just be me, but it doesn't seem to stop and especially now that I have Claire I get even more. Take comfort in knowing you're not alone!

sara said...

oh my goodness you are so funny! and that is all so true!