chapter 91 : reflecting upon my reflection

4.09.2008

today i talked with one of my great friends. she never ceases to inspire and amaze me. during our conversation, i shared a recent experience i had where i learned A LOT about paying attention to the Spirit and acting upon those feelings. toward the end of our chat, i told her that she was lucky that she didn't know me like 10 years ago and later i found myself reflecting upon my own reflection in the mirror.
the person i was about 8 years ago and who i am now are two very different people. in many ways, i am who i always have been because i know that personality is something that isn't CHANGED very easily if at all, but i also truly hope that i am someone BETTER.
as i look back, i think i always look for an explanation for the choices i made.
honestly, i'm NOT over them completely either!
but i also find hope in the future.

i find it interesting though that when i'm critical of others, not as forgiving of faults as i should be or my thinking turns to placing myself higher than others (all of which i wish wasn't part of me), i often realize how HYPOCRITICAL i am. who am i to think _________ about someone when the things i do, the ways i act or the words i speak are probably often the same as what i'm condemning.

my heart is truly heavy at this moment and i feel overwhelmed by my inadequacies. i feel strained by my weaknesses. i feel burdened by the small sins i commit that prohibit me from truly acting like Jesus Christ in my life.

i know this moment will pass and i will feel this way again in the future, but i hope that next time i will think before i open my mouth.

yours truly.

1 comments:

Sariah said...

I think it's good when people can realize their faults and want to make changes. But I just wanted to remind you about what we just celebrated in Easter. The atonement. It's such a wonderful thing. Yes, I know we are all striving for perfection, but I know for me that I am hardly there yet. That's the point of this life to improve ourselves and gain mastery. You have to allow the atonement to work in your life. If you've repented of something and feel that God has forgiven you, then you need to forgive yourself too. I'm definitely working on allowing the aotnement to fully work in my life. It's a hard thing, because I tend to focus on something and not let go very easily. I have to remind myself that if God can let it go with his infinite knowledge and wisdom then I need to learn to do the same.

(Sorry for the rant. It was on my mind and I just wanted to share it. Maybe it can help someone.)